A regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 21, 2013

A regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 21, 2013

ASOCIACION DE REGULARIZACION DE VECINOS DE LA CHOLLA, A.C.

A regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 21, 2013 at the Cholla Community Center.  President Michael Dugan called the meeting to order at 9:00 am with the following members present:  Shirley McDonald, Kelly Ross, Helen Dahlstrom, Tammy Hicks, Kathy Barnard, Jim Allison, Jerry Caballero, Steve Lee, Ken Goodin, Sue Kathe, Tavane McComb and Don Schmidli, Delegate of Vigilance.

Mr. Dugan introduced the new Board Member, Tammy Hicks.  He stated that he knows she will help us in getting things done.
He then stated that there are various committees and that he has been handling the water himself.  He asked if
Tammy would consider joining him on said Water Committee.  Ms. Hicks accepted that position.  Ms. Dahlstrom asked for clarification just what the goal was of that committee.  Mr. Dugan stated that there are a couple goals: 1) seeing if the company or the City or someone would continue to bring the water closer and closer into the community; and 2) the discussions in the
past about what is to be done with resigned people, the water guys and that type of thing. Another hand in this would be very helpful.  Tammy obviously knows and Bill will probably help her as well and myself; we all know the water people so maybe we can keep an eye on it.  Ms. Dahlstrom stated that that is an issue.  Mr. Dugan stated that is something that can be discussed in the committee and bring back to the group.

MINUTES:

The board previously received the minutes of the March meeting.  Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions.  There being none, a motion was made followed by a second and report approved.

TREASURER’S REPORT/FINANCE:

Treasurer, Helen Dahlstrom handed out the report ending March 31, 2013.  After her report, Mr. Dugan asked if there were any questions.  Mr. Dugan noted that we are right on schedule with the budget.  However he did note that the Interior Roads was higher.  It was noted that this was due to the road damage from the storm and the construction of the wall and walkway by Mr. Fish Taco.  Mr. Allison asked why the accountant has not been paid yet.  Ms. Dahlstrom stated that they have not submitted a bill to us yet.  There being no changes, all were asked to approve the report.  All were in favor and the report was
approved.  Steve Lee stated that the OBSC owes money and the big Bash was held yesterday. Don’t you think we should be a priority in getting paid?  Helen stated that she has been after them for months for some type of movement and was told that after the Bash, we would start seeing some payments.

MEMBERSHIP:

Ms. Dahlstrom reported the following:  682 members paid in full, 167 not current, 21 Mexican members not required to pay but did, for a total membership of 870.  There are 21 members whose status is unclear.

Mr. Dugan commented that it would be redundant to re-hash the items that were discussed at the Annual Meeting.  He stated that the audience here today and the Board were all here for that meeting as well.  I would like to suggest instead that we cover
a couple things that were not covered yesterday.

OLD BUSINESS:
PALAPAS:

Mr. Ross stated that he received the proposal and that he has to draft it up.  It will be out within the next month.
It will be for 2:  one as a straw palapa and the other a fixed structure.  Mr. Dugan asked if anyone knew if we have to rent the tents from Tecate.  Mr. Ross stated that he asked yesterday and was told that they come with the beer.  A discussion was held about how you can’t rely on getting what you need.

STORAGE FACILITY:

Ms. Dahlstrom stated that she’s received some proposals for the storage structure.  She passed out information from Gabby’s
proposal.  She stated that the sidewalk in front of the clubhouse would be extended to the east in front of the new
structure.  The handicap ramp would remain and an additional 4’ wide sidewalk would be added.   The building will be 26’ long by 20’ deep.  The north side would have 2 garage doors, a man door would be on the west side and windows on both the east and west sides.  Ms. McDonald asked if the windows would be covered to defer entry.  It was stated that the windows would be high up on the walls.  Suggestion was made to use glass block instead.  This is something that would be discussed.

A bid was received from Gabby that did not include the windows and doors (nor electric but some money was added it
for it) for $12867.20; with the windows & doors it would be $19592.20.  Mr. Lee asked if we were getting other bids.  Ms. Dahlstrom stated that the other bid (Miguel) was higher; the base price was $15000.00.  Ms. McDonald commented that Gabby did a fantastic job on the sidewalk with the railing. The roof will be slanted; we will have to dig down to get a flat
flooring and that is included in the cost. It was asked if the roof would be insulated; no it will not.  The roof will be roll roofing, the same as the clubhouse.  The floor will have drains for washing it out.  Mr. Dugan stated that this is a good start as we have been discussing this for a while now.  With our community growing and the functions growing, it will be a good place to store items. Ms. Kathe asked if there would be shelving inside for storage purposes as well.   Mr. Allison suggested that racks be installed later.  A discussion was had about shelves/racks to store more items and the vents/whirly birds for ventilation.

PARKS:

Mr. Lee stated that he keeps thinking about adding 2 additional horseshoe pits.  So many people are using them and it’s just
great.  He asked if anyone knew what the costs were before?  Mr. Dugan stated he thought it was about $1700.  Mr. Ross
stated that Craig McComb requested that the pits be upgraded.  A discussion was had and it was decided that any upgrades/repairs should be approved and overseen by Mr. Lee.  Ms. McComb stated that someone had knocked
down the climbing structure in the park.  Mr. Lee is going to look at it and have it repaired.  Mr. Lee will do a walk around and see what needs to be done at the park.

COMMITTEES:

Ms. Kathe welcomed Ms. Hicks to the board and thanked her for joining the Water Committee.  She stated that she has served on the board for a year now and has asked to be on a committee.  She would like to help out and not just sit
on the board.  Mr. Dugan asked if she would assist Mr. Ross on the Road Committee.  She agreed to do it.  This is a
very important committee.  Ms. Kathe stated she lives here full-time (except for the summer) and she would be glad
to do it.

SIGNS:

Ms. Dahlstrom passed out information to the Board members.  A discussion was had about the new Welcome to Cholla signs for the entrance and around town.  The signs will be in both English and Spanish.  The emergency numbers will be posted on them as well.  There will be a total of 6 signs (4’x3’ brightly colored).  The cost is $1250 for the signs only.

The next sign is for the Beaches, which say in English:  “We are not asking you to clean our beaches, we are asking you not to dirty them.”  These would be installed at Tucson Beach, Ramon’s store and Barracho Flats.  The cost for 3 signs is $487.50.

Ms. McComb stated that people were camping on Tucson Beach.  Can we add no camping to the sign?  Mr. Dugan advised
her to inform the Police of this.  She stated they were there as well.  It was noted that this was during Semana Santa.
Mr. Dugan also noted that this was the Federal Zone, which we cannot control.

Mr. Dahlstrom stated that it would cost $450 to install all the signs.  They will be made of metal with vinyl lettering on metal posts.  A motion was made, seconded and approved.
NEW BUSINESS:

Mr. Allison stated that since it was decided to have a meeting every other month, our next meeting would be in June.  A discussion was had about the same.  A motion was made that the next meeting would be held on June 16, 2013 at 9 am, seconded and approved.

Mr. Kelly asked about the absenteeism issue; would it still be 3 absences or a ratio?  Ms. Dahlstrom advised him that it would still be 3 scheduled meetings.

Ms. Kathe, the December meeting is really close to Christmas, we need to think about having it earlier.  This will be discussed at a later date – the 8th is being tentatively being set.  What about the March meeting for the elections?  A discussion was had that if the business was completed in February, we could miss it.  These issues will be discussed at the June meeting.

There being no further business to discuss, motion was made, seconded and meeting was adjourned at 11:45 am.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION:

Jeff Calvert stated that 1) during Semana Santa and Christmas, the Federal Zone is open to camping on the beaches
thru out all of Mexico; and 2) directed to Kelly and Sue:  last meeting it was discussed about the road to the Four Aces.  Did the Executive Board and Bella view the road to look for a solution?  Kelly stated that the Board did not view the
road yet, however, the Executive Board would go there immediately following the meeting.

A lady asked if our water rates were the same.  Mr. Dugan advised her that last year there was an increase, but we are given a discount so the price has remained the same.

A gentleman asked what the graders were doing to bring the sand back up to the top of a hill?  His concrete driveway is at the bottom of a hill and the sand is getting deeper and deeper and is undermining his concrete.  Mr. Dugan stated that he would
take Kelly Ross and Sue Kathe to the Company and make the introductions with Juan.  They can then address these issues
with the Company.  Discussion was had about the graders.

Mr. Dugan had a discussion with the Company about them starting to do the work in May on the Home Port.  He asked them what they were going to do with the caliches, etc when they do their dredging.  They stated that they would have to haul it away.  Mr. Dugan suggested that they haul it to Cholla Bay and use it for road repairs and to bring our roads back up to
height.  They made a note of it so there’s a chance this may happen.  A discussion was had about the same.   Ms. Dahlstrom asked when the Road contract was up and Mr. Dugan stated it was in June.

Mr. Dugan thanked everyone for coming to the meeting.

Respectfully submitted,

Shirley McDonald, Secretary

 

FUTURE MEETING:

Sunday, June 18, 2013            9:00 am