A regular Board meeting was held on Sunday, January 16, 2011

A regular Board meeting was held on Sunday, January 16, 2011

ASOCIACION DE REGULARIZACION DE VECINOS DE LA CHOLLA, A.C.

A regular Board meeting was held on Sunday, January 16, 2011 at the Cholla Community Center.  The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM by President Michael Dugan with the following members present:  Helen Dahlstrom, Lew Felton, Jerry Ketelhut, Jr., Gene Court, Blaine Fletcher, Laurie Weber, Steve Willis, Pete Pisciotta, Pat Sledge, Shirley McDonald, Don Schmidli, Delegate of Vigilance and Mexican Representative Valente Cornejo.  Absent:  Bella Howard.

MINUTES:           The Board had previously received minutes of the December 12, 2010 meeting.  Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions.  There being none, motion was made, seconded and minutes approved.

TREASURER’S REPORT/FINANCE:          Treasurer Helen Dahlstrom passed out the report showing income and expenditures through December 31, 2010.  Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions and there being none, he asked for a motion to approve.  Motion made, seconded and report approved.

MEMBERSHIP:          Ms. Dahlstrom reported 683 members paid in full with l87* not current, 5 mexican members not required to pay but did for a total of 875**.  There are 48 properties whose ownership and potential for membership are being researched.  *These members could possibly be Mexicans moved to a separate category until their status is confirmed.  **Some properties previously listed as having a meter do not have them.

Mr. Ketelhut had put together information on issues that had been discussed a lot, one of which was membership.  A long discussion followed as to changes in the last few years  and what he felt should be done to get more members current.  Mr. Dugan asked him what plan he had to collect the 25% that is not paying and Mr. Sledge said before you try to collect it, we need to find out what is causing it and he thinks it is the economy.

Ms. Weber said she thought the Vecinos could collect money owed by Cholla homeowners by placing a lien against them in the States.  She said they are also delivering bills to addresses that were not previously available. 

Mr. Dugan said the City of Penasco has hired a law firm to pursue collecting delinquent taxes. 

                                                          (1)

ARCHITECTURAL:          Mr. Dugan reported no news on the CC&R’s.

 

CLUBHOUSE:          Chairman Pat Sledge said there is a problem with the microphones and we need some new equipment.  He will get some prices from Doug Gallagher and he thinks it was about $200 for a mike.  He is to get some numbers and notify the board by email.

He said nothing has been done on the kitchen remodel.  He put some numbers in the budget and will get back with some suggestions as to what he plans to do.  There were two rentals in November/December and another one coming up.  To date, no one has paid the rental for Frenchie’s party.

Mr. Dugan suggested after any party and the weekend is over, all tables and chairs should be folded and stacked in one place so someone can clean the floor without having to do that job.  He also suggested that the Zamboni be left plugged in after use or it is possible a new battery will have to be purchased each time.

Mr. Dugan said he had seen a van in Penasco advertising stripping, cleaning and resurfacing of floors.  He wondered if the person could strip and  add something to keep the tile from absorbing wine, etc.  Mr. Dugan will look for the truck and see what the cleaning cost would be for the Clubhouse.

Mr. Sledge suggested training someone local to run the Zamboni and be regularly employed after a function to clean up the kitchen and the floor.

Ms. Dahlstrom commented on people putting tape on the glass in the new cabinets because it is very hard to get off. 

 

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:          Nothing to report.

 

GARBAGE:          Chairman Jerry Ketelhut, Jr., reported the survey has been send out and he urges everyone to return it.  Ms. Dahlstrom will post it on the website if someone will write up something to accompany it.  Discussion followed about using emails as a means to get information to homeowners.

 

ROADS:          Chairman Pete Pisciotta reported he can get the faded signs repainted for about $20 each and new signs costs about $40.  He will proceed with getting this done but it means the signs will have to be taken down for a few days.

                                                          (2)

There was discussion about the road narrowing between the Reef turn and the condos.  Mr. Pisciotta will consult Mr. Brown about widening that part of the road prior to the Roger Clyne Concert at JJ’s on January 29.

Mr. Sledge asked Mr. Pisciotta what a load of caleche cost and what area it would cover.

He asked for the cost because there are other homeowners like him who do not get road maintenance.  Mr. Pisciotta said he would get the cost for a load, dumped, sprayed and watered.  Mr. Sledge suggested that information be put in the Newsletter and the website for anyone interested in the cost of doing something like that.

 

PARKS/ENVIRONMENT:          Chairman Gene Court said someone said the horseshoe pits were 5” out of level. He checked them and the worst one was about l l/2” out of level and the others were about 1” off.  Some part of the park is being used almost every day.  He said he hopes to check all the chains soon.  Something has been stolen and that will need to be replaced.  He also plans to get some spray for the weeds.

 

SECURITY:          Mr. Felton brought down some new tires for the quad.  Mr. Dugan passed out the Christmas bonus to everyone and they were very appreciative of the gifts. 

There were a few break ins but there are not as many people in town so it makes it easier for the robbers.  He urged everyone to protect their property with some kind of security.

The Security Survey is complete and went out with the Newsletter.

Mr. Willis reported on the camera issues with bids from Mr. Dahlstrom, Valente, SBR and Central Alarm. They were bidding on a package for cameras and  a remote that would be located outside Mr. Brown’s equipment yard. Mr. Dahlstrom’s original bid was $6,600 and included installation at the police station, DVR, 7cameras, wireless remote, night vision, but not include installation at the maintenance yard due to unknown factors.

Valente’s bid was $6,606 and included installation at the police station, wireless remote and DVR.  Quantity of cameras and night vision not mentioned.  There was a problem understanding the bid but think only one camera was bid.

SBR’s bid was $5,310 and included installation, DVR, 5 cameras, wireless remote, night vision but no mention if installation includes wireless remote.  Their price also included the required wireless transmission permit.  Mr. Dugan asked if the HOA will have their own password so just anyone can’t get into the system?   Mr. Willis said he was told we would have a separate password.  Ms. Dahlstrom asked if the license would be in the Vecinos name and Mr. Willis said he didn’t know that yet.  Even though SBR is bidding

only 5 cameras, it allows 16 cameras in the license.  Mr. Willis said Mr. Brown would be

                                                          (3)

willing to use their electricity for the remote camera at the entrance.

Central Alarm’s bid was $3,048 and included DVR, 4 cameras, no wireless remote, night vision, no installation and monthly fees of $35.00.

There was a discussion regarding what the Vecinos hoped to get from the cameras since a lot of cars don’t have license plates.  Mr. Willis said if there is a problem, they will have the ability to look at the camera which  may give them enough information to proceed in finding the vehicle or person.  It is also hoped that it will send a message that when they come to Cholla they are being watched.

Mr. Sledge reminded everyone that we are installing security cameras in a building that we don’t own and we have no control over the cameras.  We have to be very careful how this is handled.  It was brought up that the cameras could be turned off at certain times and for certain reasons and there is nothing we can do.  Mr. Willis said the Vecinos can have a remote and that is certainly an option but is not included in the proposals.    That brought up whether it might be better to have it off site rather than at the station.

Mr. Dugan suggested that in order to move on, Mr. Willis get some of those things cleared up with each bidder and where could the remote DVR be located  and a suggestion was made that it be located in the Vecinos’ office.  The board thought that was where it should be and anyone with the password can pull it up and monitor it and rewind it.  It was left for Mr. Willis to pursue information regarding the feasibility of installing the DVR in the office.  Mr. Dugan asked Mr. Willis to contact the parties involved and ask what they would suggest to solve the problem of placing equipment in the Vecinos office.  Mr. Dugan asked Mr. Willis to get the cost of cameras due to different quantities bid.

Mr. Fletcher asked how many police are in Cholla?  Mr. Dugan said it is his understanding there are four police assigned to Cholla Bay but if they are needed in Penasco,  they are kept there.  He does know we sometime  have three and other times we may have two or four.  As everyone knows, we have the two young men riding the quad and keeping a watch on Cholla but we do not control them either.

 

WATER AND SEWER:          Mr Dugan reported that the City of Penasco had an article in Joinus stating that they were raising the water rates 10%.  The reason for that is because 70% of the people in Penasco don’t pay their water bills so they are raising it for the 30% who pay.  He plans to go into town and talk to the people and remind them we

                                                          (4)

pay our bill on time so why do we have an increase in our water bill.  He has been getting

a 10% discount for paying on time so feels we are back to the norm so won’t ruffle feathers right now but will let the town know that we would like to continue the rate we had and he will work on that.

 

OLD BUSINESS:           Mr.Ketelhut reported that we have 6 portajons in 3 locations and feels we don’t need that many in the winter and the consensus was to remove them now and see if we need to replace them for the summer.  They are presently being pumped once a week and if needed, it could be changed to twice a week.

 

NEW BUSINESS:          Mr. Dugan said due to the downturn of the economy, the Vecinos, OBSC and CBSC have all been hurt.  At the CBSC meeting on Saturday they discussed monies spent to send out mail from all three groups for different events.  Someone at their meeting came up with an idea of combining mailings.  There was a long discussion on how to handle the collective mailings and the board agreed it would introduce OBSC and CBSC to the Vecinos who previously may not have been involved or aware of the many activities. The board suggested .05 each for OBSC and CBSC to have a folded page weighing 1 ounce or less  sent with Vecino Newsletters.  This was voted on and approved.

Mr. Ketelhut presented excerpts from minutes from 2007 to 2009 regarding Membership, Security and Trash.  He said those three issues  continually come up but nothing has actually be done.  He feels there is a lot of desire on the part of the board members but new members look back and feel we are struggling.  Collecting delinquent membership fees would fund some of the things we have been discussing such as the security cameras we have been discussing.  The new board members, as well as those who have been serving several years, get frustrated in trying to get things done.  At that point, Mr. Dugan asked what was his solution to the problems.

His solution was to have someone work full time to take care of the problems and collect funds that are due to Vecinos and helping every board member with their situation.  What he was proposing was another paid staff member, basically what the board had previously discussed in hiring someone as a Town Manager and the fact that the position would pay for itself by collecting past due fees owed to the Vecinos. 

There was a lot of discussion between board members, all at one time, so secretary missed some of the suggestions that were made.  Mr. Dugan told Mr. Ketelhut to come

                                                          (5)

back with a proposal laying out the job description and a price for doing that.  Mr. Sledge

felt it would be necessary to go to the Membership for approval on anything like that.  If approved, it would have to be put out to the public, too.

Ms. Dahlstrom said she has been working on budgets with Committee Chairpersons and should have figures done soon.

There being no further business to discuss, Mr. Dugan asked for a motion to adjourn.  Motion was made, seconded and meeting adjourned at 10:48 AM.

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION:

 

Some lady asked why someone has to pay dues if they only own a lot that was not being used and was told it is necessary to pay dues if you own a lot whether or not it has a building on it.  The dues are set by the Board and the homeowners.

Mr. Flinn wanted to know why the fire truck was sitting in the open rather than parked in the building furnished for it.  He was told that the Board did not know.

Respectfully submitted,

Shirley McDonald, Secretary

FUTURE MEETINGS:

 

Sunday, February 20, 2011        9:00 AM

Sunday, March 20, 2011           9:00 AM

Saturday, April 16, 2011            9:00 AM  General Meeting

Sunday, April 17, 2011              9:00 AM  Regular Meeting

TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED:

 

1.       Microphones

2:       Security cameras

3.       Location of DVR