November Minutes and December Meeting Notice

November Minutes and December Meeting Notice

ASOCIATION DE REGULARIZACION DE VECINOS DE LA CHOLLA, A.C.
APARTADO POSTAL
PUERTO PENASCO, SONORA, MEXICO

NOTICE OF REGULAR BOARD MEETING

DATE: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2007

TIME: 9:00 am (Local Time)

PLACE: Cholla Community Center

AGENDA: 1. Minutes of Previous Meeting

2. Treasurer’s Report/Finance

3. Reports of Standing Committees

A. Membership

B. Architectural

C. Clubhouse

D. Executive

E. Garbage

F. Roads

G. Parks/Environment

H. Security

I. Constitution/By-Laws

3. Unfinished or old business

4. New Business

Your attendance will be appreciated.

Shirley McDonald, Secretary
ASOCIACION DE REGULARIZACION DE VECINOS DE LA CHOLLA, A.C.

 

A regular board meeting was held on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at the Cholla Community Center. The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM by President Michael Dugan with the following members present: Helen Dahlstrom, Alan Peterson, Jim Niblack, Lew Felton, Don Schmidli, Pete Pisciotta, Steve Lee, Pat Sledge, Shirley McDonald, and Gerry Nelson, Delegate of Vigilance.

Absent: Bill Drake, Gene Court, Don Vawter, Ken Goodin, Tom Clark and Mexican Representative, Valente Cornejo.

MINUTES:

The board had previously received minutes of the regular meeting on October 14, 2007. Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions. There being none, motion was made, seconded and minutes approved.

TREASURER’S REPORT/FINANCE:

Treasurer Helen Dahlstrom passed out the report showing income and expenditures through October 31, 2007. Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions. There was one question regarding a $400 payment to Jessie Arvizu and after that was cleared up, motion was made, seconded and report approved.

MEMBERSHIP:

There are 702 members paid in full, 119 not current, 3 Mexican members paid but not required to, for a total of 824. There are 162 memberships that have an unclear status. Gretchen Ellinger said late notices have been mailed.

ARCHITECTURAL:

Mr. Dugan thanked Steve Lee for all his work regarding CC&R’s. Everything has been submitted to the people working on the regulations and they are proceeding on the second phase of their contract. Other than that, there was little to report on Architectural.

CLUBHOUSE:

Chairman Pat Sledge again brought up putting a wall in place around the Clubhouse property due to people camping and kids racing quads through the parking area. Mike Dugan had the police up a couple of times to get people moved from the property. Mr. Pisciotta is looking into getting some “Private Property” signs made to be posted around the perimeter of the property.

(1)
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:

A review by the executive committee was made of the contract adjustment request by Gretchen Ellinger and approval was made to increase her contract based on her request.

ARCHITECTURAL:

Mr. Dugan reported there was little to report on architectural but asked the Water and Sewer Committee to report on their activities. Jim Niblack said they had taken a look at some old plans for water and sewer and activity on completing the stand-pipe by the police station. Such things as monthly cost, hook-up fees and who would you call in case of a problem was discussed by the committee.

Gerry Nelson gave Mr. Dugan their report that morning and said he felt things should be left until the next meeting giving the president a chance to study their recommendations and have additional discussion at that point. Mr Nelson gave the board some information on lift stations and problems that can arise from them. Mr. Dugan reported the plans viewed by Mr. Nelson and the Committee were approved (about 12 years ago) but the new plans that have been turned in to OOMOPAS have not yet been approved. They are however working toward making water available to Cholla for the trucks. A long discussion followed regarding water and sewer.
Mr. Dugan reported there is a possibility water to the stand-pipe may be available to water trucks by the end of the year.

GARBAGE:

Chairman Don Schmidli had talked to Jessie Arvizu about his need for more equipment since there is so much garbage.

There was a long discussion with regard to getting some kind of container and setting guidelines for the handling of cans put out for pickup. Pat Sledge felt the board is not doing Mr. Arvizu any favors by not being consistent and it needs to be acted on. Long discussion followed as to what should be done and how to provide service to homeowners in areas that are hard to get into. The old story always is that water trucks get everywhere but the garbage truck can’t.

ROADS/ENVIRONMENT:

Chairman Pete Pisciotta said he has a quote on street signs. A reflective type street sign with a post, installed is $70 each. A combination sign with a stop sign on top would be $100 each installed. He will work with Benjamin Brown to determine how many signs needed and will have a total figure at the December meeting.

Mr. Pisciotta also presented a drawing of an entrance to Cholla, proposed by the Company, to be installed by the police station. Mr. Pisciotta said it would contain an office/lodging area for the officers to include phones, radio, internet and would have lift gates. There was a long discussion regarding the Boracho Flat area that would not be included in the monitored area. Placing the
(2)

entrance out by the equipment yard would not work due to the ability to drive around into Cholla
when the tides area out. There were several suggestions as to a solution but Mr. Pisciotta is to
work with the Company as to further solutions.

Pat Sledge wanted it noted in the minutes that the Company had originally wanted the Vecinos to fund building an entry. Their suggestion was voted down at that time. He felt if the Vecinos put money into such a venture, it should be for the good of all Cholla, including Boracho Flats.

PARKS:

In the absence of Chairman Gene Court, Mike Eagan reported trees have been planted and a year contract for water. They are under budget, but they will be giving the board a couple of items for stage 2. Don Vawter had his grandchildren in the park and there were a couple of boards missing at the top of the slide. The board asked the committee to look into repairing the problem. Mike Dugan’s neighbor in Cholla has a lead on some playground equipment and someone else is looking into coating for the basketball court.

SECURITY:

Chairman Alan Peterson reported Penasco has a new Police Chief and Cholla has a new police force. He said a local contractor hired some men from Penasco to do a job in Cholla. One of them was found in a Mexican family’s house helping himself to whatever he wanted. He was arrested but the contractor paid off a police officer and they were all released.

CONSTITUTION/BY-LAWS:

Mr. Dugan reported not much has changed there. Everything was covered in Executive.

OLD BUSINESS:

Steve Lee suggested the club fund Jessie Arvizu putting the rock back in place on Tucson Beach to stop vehicles from driving on the beach and into the tidal pool area. Mr. Dugan, Mr. Sledge and Mr. Lee were to meet after the meeting to look at the situation. Mr. Sledge made a motion that $500 be set aside to accomplish moving the rocks. Motion seconded and approved.

NEW BUSINESS:

Mr. Dugan gave a report on the Community Cleanup on November 10. The idea came from Heather Green, a local resident. She put together a clean-up committee and brought about 50 people down from Tucson who were joined by homeowners in the cleanup. They met at the clubhouse, bags were passed out and trash was weighed at JJ’s Cantina and prizes were given for the most trash collected. 720 kilos of garbage was picked up. The trash trailers were there for the trash to be collected and hauled off at the expense of the Vecinos.

(3)

Someone from Tucson who used to do research wants to start the program up again. She would bring kids down, they would clean up and then do seminars. Mr. Dugan offered the clubhouse for their seminars and there are probably a lot of people in Cholla who would like to attend the

seminars. Mr. Dugan suggested a challenge to ASU since there are about 50/50 people down in
Cholla who are one school or the other. He had several suggestions on other activities during that weekend.

Secretary asked who would be handling Nominating and voting for the general meeting in April.
Steve Lee stepped up to work on nominating people to run for spots on the board.

There being no further business to discuss, Mr. Dugan asked for a motion to adjourn.
Motion made, seconded and meeting adjourned at 10

Future meetings are as follows:

Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:00 AM
Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:00 AM
Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:00 AM
Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:00 AM
General Meeting Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:00 AM
Regular Meeting Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:00 AM

Respectfully submitted,

 

Shirley McDonald, Secretary