Regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 26, 2009

Regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 26, 2009

ASOCIACION DE REGULARIZACION DE VECINOS DE LA CHOLLA, A.C.

A regular board meeting was held on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at the Cholla Community Center. The meeting was called to order at 9:00 AM by President Michael Dugan with the following members present: Gene Court, Lew Felton, Ken Goodin, Pete Peterson, Pat Sledge, Jerry Ketelhut, Jr., Jim Niblack, Steve Lee, Mike Eagan, Shirley McDonald, Helen Dahlstrom and Don Schmidli, Delegate of Vigilance.

Absent: Pete Pisciotta, Tom Clark and Valente Cornejo.

Mr. Dugan welcomed Jerry Ketelhut, Jr. and Pete Peterson as new members to the board as well as continuing members Gene Court, Ken Goodin and Don Schmidli, Delegate of Vigilance.

MINUTES:

The board had previously received minutes of the March 15, 2009 meeting. Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions. There being none, he then asked for a motion to approve. Motion made, seconded and minutes approved.

TREASURER’S REPORT:

Treasurer Helen Dahlstrom passed out the report showing income and expenditures through March 31, 2009. Mr. Dugan asked if there were any corrections or additions to the report. There being none, he then asked for a motion to approve. Motion made, seconded and report approved.

MEMBERSHIP:

Ms. Dahlstrom reported there are 726 members paid in full, 133 not current, 4 Mexican members who are not required to pay, but did, for a total of 863. There are 114 whose membership status is not clear.

There was a discussion about a homeowner who owns a condo and has never paid dues. The condo has been rented for at least a year and the board felt we should pursue back dues, too.

ARCHITECTURAL:

Nothing to report.

CLUBHOUSE:

Chairman Pat Sledge said Rick Dahlstrom gave him a drawing of the proposed palapa. There was a discussion regarding the roof and what type material to use. The concept of the palapa was approved by the board.
(1)
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:

Mr. Dugan said, as reported to the general membership on Saturday, the CC&Rs should be ready within the next month or so. There was interest in the General Meeting about getting them given out to the public and the Board felt that was not a good idea just in case something was changed prior to completion. Mr. Dugan said when they are approved, he would put them on the website but didn’t think it was a good idea at this time. After a long discussion, it was decided to put them on the website after the next meeting, whether they have been approved or not.

GARBAGE:

Jerry Ketelhut, Jr. either volunteered or was pushed into the Chairmanship of Garbage.

Mr. Dugan said Gretchen Ellinger did submit a report regarding the addition of some porta potties, garbage cans, etc. He did report that since the Budget was approved, the toilets and garbage containers will become permanent fixtures on the beach.

ROADS:

In the absence of Chairman Pete Pisciotta, the President reported that since the budget was approved the old contract will continue till July 1 and the new one which is $3,000 per month begins then.

PARKS/ENVIRONMENT:

Chairman Gene Court reported that the chemical being used against the sand in the soil seems to be helping the trees because the water is going into the ground quicker. They will be taking more soil samples soon to see what change has occurred.

Mr. Court said he either had to get a new skateboard ramp, repair the old one or get rid of it. Mr. Eagan suggested getting a cost to repair it but Mr. Court thought it would be very expensive to repair. He also feels it is unsafe and after a discussion, the decision was made to just get rid of it. He also needs to replace a table top that has been damaged.

Mr. Court also wants to build another shoot around and was reminded he still had some money in his budget.

SECURITY:

Chairman Jim Niblack reported trenches had been dug and filled with boulders in the canyon east of Pinto Point. He also wanted feedback on the effectiveness of the extra security during spring break and Easter. Ms. Dahlstrom said she saw someone at the station but he never left the chair. Mr. Lee said every time he went by the police station they came out and acknowledged him so mixed reactions. Mr. Lee also said the police came to Pelican Point and
(2)
walked around the back of homes and also stopped at a home close to him that was rented and
cautioned the people about noise. He said they also stopped a vehicle with Mexican plates and checked them.

There was a discussion about stickers and having someone at the checkpoint all the time. A big help would be management that could help train, oversee and work with security. Mr. Lee said Las Conchas spends enormous amounts of money and they still have break-ins because they go in from the desert. Mr. Dugan said there is money budgeted to use auxiliary police and thinks they should talk to the people who worked with them in the spring.

There was an incident on the hill near Tucson Beach where people were partying at a house and the police had been by several times and didn’t do anything about it. Toto went up with Mr. Dugan and then told him Lupe was doing work there and those were his relatives so they did nothing.

Mr. Court said the police and auxiliary police were watching the beaches very closely, both day and night during Easter.

CONSTITUTION/BYLAWS:

Nothing to report.

WATER AND SEWER:

Mr. Dugan said he had always heard you can’t have water unless you have sewer but he doesn’t understand how Las Conchas got hooked up to city water and they have septic systems not sewer. Mr. Peterson said the State of Sonora said Cholla couldn’t have water until they put in a sewer system based on what the Health Department said about the sewer leeching into the bay.

Mr. Dugan also brought up the sewer system in which the homeowners would be the owner of the sewer system, if they should decide to do that. Some felt that what was paid to Mr. Brown to be used toward water and sewer was gone and the Vecinos should just move on. The land held to enforce compliance in finishing the infrastructure of Cholla should be looked into and try to get the the State of Sonora behind the homeowners in possibly forcing some action. The concensus of the board was to start getting costs together and Mr. Dugan plans to talk to Bengie Brown and get his input about proceeding. According to Gerry Nelson the cost of putting water and sewer in Cholla would be $5,000.000 and then it would have to be maintained. Mr. Felton divided the 800+ members into the cost and it would be about $6,200
And if it cost $40,000 per year to maintain, it would be about $40 a month per household. It was decided that Mr. Dugan would look into the possibilities available to the Vecinos.

There was a long discussion regarding a sewage plant that could be used for Cholla and possibly the western end of Sandy Beach. Mr. Dugan said he would be meeting with Bengie Brown within the next week and he would bring up the issue about the sewer and ask if
(3)
There was some interest in doing something, whether together or alone, and the Vecinos would like to know where they stand on the issue. Mr. Felton said it would be interesting to know if they have engineering for sewer and water and possibly costs to complete the systems.

NEW BUSINESS:

The President said he had been approached by a real estate woman who wanted him to get Cholla involved in lobbying the US to stop publicity about Mexico being a dangerous place. To join would cost $1.00 per person. He didn’t think it was something the Vecinos would want to do but passed it on to the board.

The car window stickers were revisited after the enthusiasm from homeowners at the General Meeting. The decision was made to give two per household but people can buy more for other family members and visitors. It was originally discussed they would be put on the passenger side, but since the police close the road to one lane after a certain time at night, it was decided it would serve best on the driver’s side. There was also discussion about homeowner cards but that idea didn’t pass.

The sticker would be changed every year when dues are paid and the stickers would be included with the paid dues receipt. Motion was made to provide 2 per household, seconded and approved.

OLD BUSINESS:

Mr. Dugan was asked if he had heard anything about the estuary and he said someone supposedly complained about paying $1 to park, called the police and the parking thing was shut down. The President said that area is an issue between the Company and that group and the Vecinos have nothing to do with it.

There being no further business to discuss, Mr. Dugan asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion made, seconded and meeting adjourned at 10:15 AM.

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION:

Someone asked why the old fire truck wasn’t placed in the park and was told it cost to maintain it and the danger of injury to someone.

Gerry Nelson congratulated the board for changes that have been made. He also said he felt the technical aspects of the water and sewer situation are far beyond the ability of the Company to understand and he feels if they started in on the system, he believes the Vecinos would not be happy with it. He said his estimates might be off by 25% but feels that is still far beyond what the people in Cholla could handle. He was also concerned about the Vecinos putting water and sewer in the roads which are not owned by Cholla. He did say the $5,000,000 he said it would take to put the services in also included paving roads which would be necessary to protect underground lines from damage.
(4)

There was also a discussion about water trucks charging over the set price of $7 per tank.
Mr. Dugan said he would have another meeting with the water truck drivers and if they were going to continue to charge $8 per tank, he was going to raise the rate on the water they take out of the standpipe.

There was concern about people leaving garbage out for dogs to get into instead of taking it to the trailers as they leave.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Shirley McDonald, Secretary

Future Meetings: Sunday, May 10, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009

 

ELECTION RESULTS:

Secretary: Shirley McDonald

Board of Directors: Gene Court
Ken Goodin
Jerry Ketelhut, Jr.
Alan Peterson

Delegate of Vigilance: Don Schmidli

2009 – 2010 Budget Budget approved to raise due to $200.00